OK, so I’m the sort of girl who won’t eat dessert if it isn’t chocolate. Or key lime. But I’ve been eating these cookies — they’re my dad’s favorite — my entire life. If you’re looking for a light cookie that’s a bit out of the ordinary, you should give these a try! This recipe is from the kitchen of my grandma Irene Church with modifications from my mom Vicky Church.
- 1 C sugar
- 1/2 C shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 C crushed and drained pineapple juice (set juice aside)
- 1/4 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1 C + 3 T sifted flour
- 1.5 C quick-cooking oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening.
- Add and mix in egg.
- Add and mix in crushed pineapple.
- Sift and add cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and flour.
- Mix in oats.*
- Drop by the spoonful onto a well-greased baking sheets. Bake until cookies begin to brown around the edges.
- Let cookies cool before removing them from the baking sheets.**