I grew up in the land of gross vegetables. No offense, Mom, but steamed frozen broccoli or canned hominy are disgusting. And when Mom did cook vegetables, they were often fried. Still no good.
So I’ve started roasting my vegetables. Asparagus is a huge favorite in the summer, but this recipe will work for lots of other veggies. Here’s my basic recipe.
- Vegetables of choice
- Olive oil
- Cracked black pepper
- Cracked sea salt
- Preheat oven to broil at 500 degrees.
- Chop vegetables into 1/2″ to 1″ pieces.
- Spread veggie pieces in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
- Spray or drizzle olive oil on the veggies.
- Sprinkle veggies with black pepper, cracked sea salt, and / or any other spices you desire.
- Put cookie sheet 4-6″ under the broiler for 5-10 minutes or until the veggies are tender or beginning to brown.
- Asparagus can be left in “twigs.” It doesn’t need to be cut into smaller pieces.
- An oil sprayer will save you in the Oil Fat & Calories department and will allow you to use less oil while obtaining a more consistent coating of oil.