Most of the tactics I’ll be advocating in this blog series will involve optimizing your website so search engine spiders — geek speak for the machines that crawl the Web indexing content — can find and file your website and its pages’ content. But this first tactic is for your readers. You know, human beings. That tactic is writing compelling content.
At the end of the day, you want human beings to come to your website, read your content, and take action. You want someone to comment on your blog posts, bookmark a page, or link to your site — all actions that will earn your website points in the search engine algorithm game, but all actions that require your content to be powerful. Here are a few tips for writing great content:
- Be passionate. When you are excited about your topic, this will come across in your writing. Your readers will pick up on this passion, and it will make them excited, too; thus, increasing the odds that they’ll bookmark your website for later use or share it with another reader.
- Be creative. As an expert in your field, you might find it difficult to communicate complex ideas to your readers — especially if your readers are new to the industry. Use metaphor or simile to help your readers understand a process. Or use personal examples to help them visualize using a product. Do whatever you need to do to ensure that they understand the ideas on your web page.
- Be natural. There’s an old adage in writing that you should write like you talk. This is great advice for Web writing because writing that emulates how you speak tends to be informal, which helps you to come across as a human being — not a robot. And readers want to connect with another human being.
On the Web, content is king, and unfortunately, good content is hard to come by. Work hard to write strong, compelling content that will draw in your readers — those human beings — who will do much of the legwork required for search engine optimization.
Read the entire “SEO for True Beginners” series:
- SEO for True Beginners | An Introduction
- Write Content for Human Beings
- Know Thy Keywords
- Place Keywords Strategically
- Optimize Your Images
- Format Your Text
- Update Frequently and Consistently
- Link Judiciously
- Best Practices