Like many twentysomethings I know, I’m on Facebook, and it’s a constant struggle for me to fully participate on Facebook when I want to be out in the blogosphere. Thankfully, Facebook allows you to import your blog feed into its Note feature, but in the last week or so, I’ve struggled as to whether I should keep importing my personal blog there. Here are the pros and cons as I see them:
- Fresh audience. Many of my friends on Facebook don’t know much about blogs, but when I import it, the blog is accessible to them.
- Time savings. I don’t have time to write notes specifically for Facebook, yet it’s still important to me that I share my blog with my friends, and importing allows me to multitask.
- Fake participation. By importing my blog to Facebook, I fake my participation on Facebook (I do this with my Facebook status and Twitter, too). My profile looks active, and people will check it out, but I’m really off frolicking in the blogosphere. (Note: I still keep up with my friends on Facebook, but instead of going to the site, I use Flock to do my cyberstalking.)
- Content reproduction. Facebook imports your full feed, so unless you set up your feed to only publish partial content, your entire blog will be republished on Facebook. Google frowns upon duplicate content, but since all of Facebook’s content is locked down behind account logins, I don’t think this duplicate content will affect how Google sees my blog.
- Misplaced comments. When you publish a Facebook Note, your friends can comment on it, but when I import my blog, I want people to comment on my blog rather than on Facebook. These misplaced comments create two different communities when I only want one.
- Statistic misrepresentation. When people are reading my blog posts on Facebook, I don’t get their traffic to my blog, which skews my site statistics. It also discourages people from subscribing to my feed, which is not what this blogger wants.
So I don’t know what I’m going to do. I don’t know if all the pros are worth the cons and vice versa, so I’m turning this over to you, readers. What are you doing with your Facebook Notes? What should I do?
P.S. And if you’ve never imported your blog posts to Facebook, here are the instructions for Importing Your Blog Posts to Facebook Notes from my Feedburner series.