Over the weekend, I caught wind of a new presentation by Google for webmasters, which is appropriately titled “Google for Webmasters.” The 22-minute presentation is chock full of tips for webmasters—and bloggers—alike. I’ve mentioned submitting an XML sitemap of your blog twice before, and though it touches on sitemaps, the presentation namely focuses on how Google discovers your site, crawls it, indexes it, and ranks and serves it. It also…
- Provides advice on making your site’s content accessible to the Googlebot and your readers
- Addresses the issue of duplicate content and how to request removal of duplicate content
- Explains how Google ranks search results and calculates Page Rank
- Summarizes Google’s Webmaster Guidelines
- Reminds webmasters to check out useful Google resources like the Webmaster Central Blog, Tools, and Trends.
I only want to give you a taste of what the video provides, so I’m not going to regurgitate everything it said. I am going to encourage you to set aside time to watch it though. Consider it one of those must-do tasks that every blogger needs to put on their to-do list.