I just realized I haven’t updated you all on the triathlon training in a few weeks. Two weeks ago I was on vacation, so I was pretty lazy, and last week was my first week back, and I slacked off. Even though I haven’t been over-the-top dedicated to training, I still feel good about the race.
I’ve only been cycling at the gym, so I suppose I’ll have to get on the road eventually. My dweeby mountain bike needs new tires, and I need a bike helmet before the big day. I hope to get those this week. I’m also trying to figure out what to wear on race day. I have a two-piece Tyr suit that will work, and I think I’ll pull on a pair of shorts and a tank top (with a support bra) after the swim. I’ll have to do a test ride/run with my wet suit and those clothes to see if they’ll work.
Here’s what I’ve been up to the last two weeks:
Tuesday, July 1, 2008
- Workout Type. Cycling class + run (+ strength training)
- Route. YMCA track
- Time. 55 minutes + 35 minutes
- Distance. 11 miles + 3 miles
- Pace per mile. 5:00 + 11:40
- Additional notes. First brick workout. Not too terrible. A few more of these will definitely help me prep for the race.
Saturday, July 5, 2008
- Workout Type. 5k race
- Route. Clinton, MO, Katy Trail
- Time. 31:13
- Distance. 3.1 miles
- Pace per mile. 10:06
- Additional notes. Excellent race! One of my fastest times in a while. Runners were bussed out 3 miles, and we ran back into town. The course is fast and flat, but it’s made of limestone gravel, so pebbles in the shoes were a problem. And there wasn’t much shade. I pushed myself a bit harder earlier in the race than I usually do. I was really pleased with my results.
Monday, July 7, 2008
- Workout Type. Lap swim
- Route. YMCA pool
- Time. 50 minutes
- Distance. 1250 yards
- Pace per mile. N/A
- Additional notes. No problems with the swim, though I’m starting to realize just how slow I am. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to swim all 300 yards just free stroking, but I think I can if I combine free stroke and the side stroke.
That’s pretty much all I did for two weeks. Pathetic, I know.