I think it must be the end of Daylight Savings Time that is getting me pumped for winter, my favorite time of the year. But it’s not Christmas or New Year’s that get me excited; it’s the thought of running in the dark! And for this reason, I’m dedicating a few of my upcoming posts to running-in-the-dark safety tips and gear. But for today, here are the top eight reasons why I love running in the dark.
- I’m more aware of nature and the stars and the moon.
- Miles and time go by faster because I can’t see how slowly I’m passing my surroundings.
- Headlamps are sexy.
- Running during non-peak traffic hours means I’m less likely to be ticked off by stupid drivers.
- I save a ton of money on sunscreen.
- How else can I get my money’s worth from the reflectors in my running shoes?
- Running shirtless in the dark scares fewer children than it does during the day.
- Early-morning and late-night runs are perfect excuses for post-lunch siestas.
I’m eager to hear why everyone else likes (or dislikes) running in the dark. I’ll have some safety tips for running in the dark tomorrow. Stay tuned!
“Night time is really the best time to work. All the ideas are there to be yours because everyone else is asleep. ” — Catherine O’Hara